Thursday, July 19, 2018 03:00 AM


TUESDAY, July 17, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- A severe allergic reaction[1] to food is much less serious in infants than in toddlers and older children, a new study concludes.

"We found that infants, unlike older children, have a low-severity food-induced anaphylaxis[2], which should come as reassuring news to parents who are about to introduce their baby to potentially allergenic foods like peanuts," said study author Dr. Waheeda Samady, from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.

Anaphylaxis is a whole-body allergic reaction[3] that can include heart or respiratory problems. In older children, food-triggered anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, but in infants it mostly involves hives[4] and vomiting[5], this study found.

The researchers analyzed data from 47 infants, 43 toddlers, 96 young children and 171 school-aged children treated for food-induced anaphylaxis at a hospital emergency department over two years.

Gastrointestinal symptoms were much more ...

News source: MedicineNet

See also: Nashville ENT