Wednesday, March 13, 2019 01:32 PM

MAN GETS DEADLY INFECTION IN SKULL AFTER CLEANING EARS WITH COTTON SWAB

Talk about getting an earful.

A British man contracted a potentially life-threatening bacterial infection in the lining of his skull after he used a cotton swab to clean his ear.

A piece of the cotton got stuck in the 31-year-old mans ear canal, made its way up his skull and reached the lining of his brain, causing neurological symptoms like seizures. He was taken to the emergency room after he collapsed, reports Live Science[1].

Dr. Alexander Charlton, an ear, nose and throat specialist at University Hospital Coventry in England who treated the man, told Live Science that the mans seizures could be linked to the bacterial infection causing toxins or brain pressure.

The man underwent a CT scan and was diagnosed with necrotizing otitis externa, a bacterial infection in the auditory canal. He was able to undergo a minor surgery, in which doctors were able to locate and remove the cotton swab.

But the man had to spend about a week in the hospital and had to take two months of antibiotics to kill the infection. Thankfully he had no long-term brain or auditory problems. The extraordinary case

News source: New York Post

See also: Steven Enrich